Feeling like I needed something uplifting this morning. Not that I’ve been down, just that I sometimes feel that I can be a bit much. Too much intensity when in my brain I’m pretty laid back. It’s an interesting dichotomy. I was driving to work this morning and was trying to think of something more uplifting. The best I could come up with was “favorite 80’s movies”. Jesus, I’m turning into a bad buzzfeed headline.
But this proves a greater point that relates to yesterday. Yes, we should all do our best to be positive and upbeat, but how do we force that issue? Telling someone to be less stressed, down or anxious when they are stressed, down or anxious is like telling a bear to be less beary. It doesn’t work and it will likely get you attacked.
So I thought to myself, self. What are the things that bring you joy? I have, when asked for a “bio”, jokingly responded with one laden with Playboy Centerfold bio list of likes and dislikes.
Patrick Erin Fellows
FROM: Long Beach, MS via Dearborn, MI
LIKES: long walks On
the beach, bubble baths, puppy breath.
DISLIKES: Mean people
Color most people unimpressed.
I have written before about “guilty pleasures” and some of these may qualify. Some may have explanations. Some may not. Without further ado, here is a list of things that give me warm fuzzies. Throw your faves in the comments if you’d like. It’s always cool to see what kind of a freak show y’all are. This could also be a
1. Puppy breath
2. Clothing: Checkerboard vans and schmedium T-shirts
3. Movies: Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles
4. BIKES: Riding bikes as hard as you can with friends in the dark. Related hammering and getting hammered on said rides
5. RUNNING: Descending long runs.
6. SWIM: Swimming underwater as far as you can go without breathing and or no breathers.
7. FOOD: Mexican, Thai and stuff that’s hot. Crawfish. Salad.
8. FAVORITE DONUT: apple fritter.
9. FAVORITE ACTOR: none.
10. Coffee. Black fucking coffee.
11. Song I’d wish I’d written: Cover Me Up- Jason Isbell
12. Apple or Other. Apple.
13. DREAM CAR: 70s vette, Old 4Runner/90s Bronco/VW Thing. Tricked out 80s Station wagon.
14. NUMBER: 13
15. Watching an athlete I coach achieve their goal.
16. Day drinkin with friends
17. Crying at stupid feel good internet videos.
18. My cargo van.
19. Guitars and playing guitars. Gibson’s over Fenders
20. Windy days.
21. FRUIT: Orange
22. VEGGIE: Broccoli
23. MUSICIANS: Butch Walker, Jason Isbell, early 90s alternative, 80s music (most)
24. CHILD: hahaha. I have a favorite boy and girl.
25. TV SHOWS: breaking bad, narcos, ozark, the office.
26. SONG: where the streets have no name.
28. Helping people get better
30. Watching my kids do almost anything
These are just some things that bring me joy on this Friday.
Have a great weekend.